Wednesday, May 10, 2017

it's a seasonal life for me..

 It began, I suppose, as most things seem to do in my life...completely at random.

    I was stuck in a bubble. Working to many hours, in a job I didn't quite hate. Barely going out and holing up in my apartment on days off, reading books and avoiding the world at large.
I didn't know what I wanted or who I wanted to be... I felt like I was missing the punchline to a joke everyone else seemed to understand.

Yeah, I know...this sounds like a total blast, why would I change a thing..?
...and then I had what I like to call a "What the hell?!?" moment. I applied to a job at a resort in Colorado on whim.


    Now, mind you, I'm from way down south ... so, this was half way across the U.S. and way outside my comfort zone. Why I did this.. well, I don't know, but to my surprise I actually got the job.... So, going with the same "what the hell" mind set. I quit the job I was coming to loath and got rid of most of my possessions and packed what was left into my little pick up and drove to the Rockies.

     And that was it.

      My beginning.

      Before this I didn't even know what seasonal work was and I probably wouldn't have understood how anyone could have so little and go so far...and I definitely wouldn't have known I was the type of person to do this.... but, I found a piece of myself I never knew existed. The person that could live in the moment and take risks. That went big and refused to sit home. I've been doing seasonal work for 8 years now. Going and doing. Seeing new places and meeting new people. Trying new things.  I've lived in the mountains. Rode across deserts. Watched the sunrise over the atlantic and set over the pacific. I've fallen in love with places I'd never dreamed I'd see, once upon a time. I've dared myself to do things I've feared and laughed as I did it. I'm still a little uncertain where I'm going in life or how long it's going to take me to get there... but i sure as hell am enjoying life and finding new places to explore.



No comments:

Post a Comment