Thursday, May 18, 2017

Not What I Expected





I wasn't supposed to be here for the summer. It wasn't in my plans. I was going to be exploring Northeastern Wisconsin and the U P. My days were going to be filled with zip lining, whitewater rafting, and hiking out to waterfalls when I wasn't too busy working for an amazing rafting company.



Unfortunately, like so many things, my lovely plans didn't work out. I didn't even make it 2 weeks with rafting company before admitting defeat and calling it quits. I was very disappointed, but, I was completely miserable and I knew I couldn’t stay.


So, I packed my car, and you know that saying, "Home is that place, when you have to go there, they will always take you." So, home I went. To Alabama. South Alabama. I found a job (, from an old friend. Yay! Facebook!) in Orange Beach at a lovely little hotel and I flopped around on sofa's at various loved ones homes.


I took my nephew out every chance I got, I spent time with my wonderful niece ( she's 10 going on 22) I had way too many ice cream dates with my grandmother and I got to hang out with my totally awesome best friend.


I went to movies, hit the beach, played in the creek, went to horse shows, spent time at the Gulf Park and the wildlife reserve. I went riding, mudding, sat around bonfires, played in the woods, went to cookouts and had the best sweet tea I've had in just about forever. I laughed, talked slower, watched the rain from a porch swing, fell back in love with seafood, had my grits the way only my Mama can make'em, and had the best greens I've had in a good long while.


So, my summer didn't go the way I planned it..... Instead, I had the chance to spend time with my crazy family and even crazier friends. I spent time doing things, seeing places, and hanging out with people that I hadn't in years.


No, my summer didn't go as I expected, it was better than I had imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment